Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Would you like some industrial chemicals with your rice and beans tonight?

You guys should always read the ingredients of products and stop paying attention to the front of the package. Don't be fooled by the nutrition facts. Be aware of what you are consuming. I have been making my own spice mixes, dressing, sauces for a little while now because it is so scary what things you can find lurking in your fav store bought seasonings. For example, here is the ingredient label for Goya Adobo.




















So I see all recognizable ingredients except for TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE. What is that? Well, here is says, "prevents caking". Ok, sounds harmless. WRONG. I Googled it and this is what I found out: "a substance found in some cosmetics, industrial chemicals, and cements" and "elevated concentrations a correlation with heart disease and chronic renal failure." That's disgusting and I am sooooo glad I stopped putting garbage into my body. Goya's Sazon is even worse:

monosodium glutamate, salt, dehydrated garlic, cumin, yellow 5, tricalium phosphate, coriander, annatto, red 40

WOW sounds delicious. I'll let you guys Google each nasty chemical addictive. This is why people are always feeling ill. If you exclude the crap there's your recipe for Adodo and Sazon. Here are the measurements. This one is a mix that I like, you guys can adjust it to your liking. I used less salt and pepper because I like the flavor of the other spices and when I sprinkle more on my food it tends to make it more salty and peppery you can use 1 Tbsp of each if you like. You can use less or more of any of these spices and make the mix your own.

Sazon

1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp coriander
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp ground annato (optional, it's for color)

Mix these up and place in a glass spice jar, 1/2 Tbsp of this mix equals one Sazon packet.

Adobo

1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp turmeric
1 Tbsp oregano

Mix these up and place in a glass spice jar or whatever you have.

















Sam's club has great deals on spices. Coriander and turmeric I found at the health food store (Nature's Pantry) in the buy in bulk section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment