Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Beauty Product Series: Intro




















Out with the old and in with the new. I never thought that I would be tossing out my makeup and to go chemical free, but that day has come. For the past two weeks I have search the internet high and low reading about the chemicals we use and looking for the best natural recipes. I did loads of internet research for you guys also with the help of a book a good friend lent us called, Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles. This book is great because it covers a lot. For 2 days I had my head stuck in this book soaking up lots of info to share with you guys.

There are a lot of scary chemicals in many of the products we woman use. And women use a lot more product then men so we really need to be careful. Just like the prepackaged food sitting on the shelves of the supermarket so does our beauty products, sit on the shelves with preservatives and things that were made in a lab and now we put them on our bodies and face. We get sick, have no idea what happened, go to the doctor and get more chemicals. Now we are eating chemicals, taking chemicals and putting chemicals on the body. Chemical overload. My mom has allergic reactions to many of these products and I never bothered to do any research because my reactions to these chemicals were not too bad. Recently, I started using liquid makeup mixed with lotion to reduce the amount of foundation on the face. I will address this more in the second part of this series. You choose what you buy and use and eat. Do you care about what you put on yourself? Yes? We need to be more wise and look at those ingredients because no one cares about you only your dollars. Don't believe me? Here are few sites to check out on the leisure:

List of harmful chemicals found in cosmetics
Treehugger
Cleaning With Ammonia
Clinique Makeup Ingredients
Breast Cancer and Cosmetics
Chemicals in Cosmetics to Avoid
Baby oil is Mineral Oil and Fragrance

And it all started trying to find a body scrub recipe online. Searching for one thing led me to fall down the rabbit hole into a whole plethora of new information that I was absorbing like a small child. For the past two weeks, I tested out a bunch of recipes. Some were good, some not, and some I had to do over. But through it all, you can see a difference in my face (skin is so clear), hair and nails alone within days of changing products. I have broken this up in a series because I have so much to tell and show. All the store brought deodorants, lip balms, hair dyes, cleaning products are not welcomed here anymore. We have more products to get rid of still to be totally chem free in this home. First in the series is Pre/Post Beauty: cleansers, lotions and toners. Second is Makeup Madness: liquid, powder, blush cream, lip balm, with links to DIY mascara, shadows and liner. Third is Get Clean: toothpaste, shower soap, shampoo and conditioner. Fourth is Men: shaving cream, aftershave and more. Fifth is Get That Place Clean: detergent, scouring scrub, and various cleaners.

Yesterday, I finally purchased my first essential oils; lavender and tea tree at Nature's Pantry. Some tea tree EO in toothpaste because it is a very safe essential oil that has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral properties. Some drops of lavender EO in a jar half filled with Epsom salts makes a great room deodorizer. Be creative.

Enjoy the series!




No comments:

Post a Comment