Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Dirty Beauty Gone Clean: Sage and Black Tea hair dye


I don't know how I stumbled across Holistic Chick's blog about hair dying using teas but I couldn't resist this article. I have been restoring my curly hair since November 2013, first by stopping my addiction to heat tools and now watching what products I put in my hair. You can now start to see the difference in my curls compared to when I first started but I have another post about that. I dyed my hair a month ago because unfortunately now when I dye my hair it's not for novelty. The dye made my hair take steps back in its progress to recovery. I was not too happy about that. My hair did not curl property and was so dried out and it was because I had damaged it with the harsh chemical dyes. I have to dye my hair but I do not want to lose my hair and have it brake off and look damaged and have to wear a wig or a weave. I love my hair. Like WTH, man?! I was not even searching for this and like I said I had no idea how I came across Holistic Chick's post, but it got me really excited to try this because I did not like using henna and the hair dye were you have to leave it in for an hour or more over a hair dyer was VERY annoying and VERY messy and that dye stained my scalp along with the shower (husband was not happy about that at all hehehehe). HC's post had a link to the detailed instructions for brunettes. The more I read the more I wanted to try this, so here is the report:

I used Lipton tea bag (we had lots leftover from the farmers' market days) that makes one gallon of tea, 4 Tbsp of ground sage, and 4 C of water. Note, this is what worked for me everyone's hair is different. I have thick, curly, medium length hair that is under repair. If you don't have patience and an open mind do not try this. Read my conclusion at the end of this post about my thoughts and what I would do different. Trials and errors.



Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil. Drop in tea and sage and let it simmer until it reduces. We want a high concentrated tea. If you are wondering, the sage is used if you are trying to cover grays, it opens the hair follicles.

 

Let it cool and pour into a bottle with a squirt tip. You can find this at a beauty supply store. This one is from a kitchen store I think. Simmering this tea makes the whole house smell so nice better than the choking on the fumes of my old hair dye.


Work into hair as you would but take in account that this is more liquidity than what you might be used so it drips so work fast in the front to cover grays and than place your head over the sink and continue working the "dye" into your hair. Smells so nice, did I mention that already? Pile on top of your head with a clip and go about your business. 


Did it a make a mess? Yes. But it wasn't bad to clean up. Some vinegar cleaner, a sprinkle of baking soda and a half of a used lemon did the trick. 


I left the tea dye in until it was almost dry and than I rinsed it with cool water a few times. Squeezed in out and let it air dry. I went to the gym later on after it dried just threw on a hat. DO NOT SHAMPOO FOR 24 HOURS. My hair still smelled nice even after it was rinsed. 


Sorry about the crazy eye in the right photo, I was trying to look in the mirror with the camera. Shampoo, condition and style as usual the following day. 


Before and after thoughts. This tea dye rinse really brought out my natural highlights and gave oomph to my color. I would definitely do this again and the best thing is that you can do this as many times as you like without destroying your hair. Hope you give this a try.



Conclusion. I would definitely do this again. I love the results of my hair. The grays in the front of my hair turned a golden color and if it gets another rinse of tea dye it will get darker. Next time, I will pay more attention to the back ends of my hair as well. I read on the site that tone lasts 3-4 weeks and it's a subtle fade. I would have strained the tea and sage with a finer strainer because there was pieces of tea falling out of my hair when it was dry. I really loved the smell. This might be my new hair dye.

Check out Kinky Curly Coily Me to read more about black tea benefits on dark hair. Read Holistic Chick's post for more about blonde and red hair.




4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by the blog and letting me know about this post Jessica!! You did a much better job than I did here, with before and after pics and everything! I only whipped up the post after I'd tried(without pics of course...shoot!) You're right that it is messy because it's so runny but it does clean up nicely with vinegar and/or baking soda! I've heard some people adding gelatin in the mixture to make it thicker and less runny but I have yet to try it out that way myself...lovely blog, I just followed via Google+ and GFC :-)

    Micheline @ Holistic Chick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Micheline! Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting. I was really excited to try this out so I took pictures to see the before and after. Great way to dye hair naturally, thanks for posting your article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, did it work with your gray hair? have you done it again? my hair is thick, curly and black and yes, of course a bunch of greys... I tried this and my gray hair is still white... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For stubborn grays, I use this every other day when I detangle my hair between shampoos (I shampoo once a week). If your hair has been chemically treated and is damaged it may take a few more tries. My grays have turned a golden hue and I love the natural highlights of my overall hair. I make the tea very strong and have changed up the recipe using black tea, nettle, sage, rosemary, AVC and walnut hull powder. I save it in my frig for up to 2 weeks. If your hair is mostly white, it will not take the color. Been using this regularly since April. Black tea is also great for hair loss, breakage, growth so it is a win-win situation. Chemical hair dyes and chemical products in general are very harmful to your health so I have stopped using any commercial hair dyes because for me it is not worth it. Hope you give this another try!!! Good luck!!!!

      Delete