Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Dirty Beauty Gone Clean: Scrubs & stuff


























So, the other day I was thinking about getting back to basics with my beauty products. I know my grandmother had her homemade beauty "potions" and she always had amazing skin. And why pay all that money for high end scrubs and beauty products that also have added junk in them to preserve. I still use bad make up BUT I have limited the amount of liquid makeup I put on my face I just make sure I moisturize and keep drinking water and juicing. It has been a year and half of eating right and juicing AND it has done wonders for my complexion. Ok so anyways back to these fun products in the picture. I LOVEEEEEE scrubs, who doesn't? It's like a spa in my bathroom. Scrubs makes your skin soft and refreshed. But those good scrubs cost $$$$$. I had all this leftover sugars that I didn't toss in case I needed to bake something for someone. So I made a few scrubs.

Brown Sugar Scrub
This one smells so good you will want to eat it and you could BUT sugar is bad for you so don't. This was the first one I made and I didn't measure this one. But next time I will add less oil.
2 parts Brown sugar
1 part white sugar
zest of 2 lemons
honey about 1-2 Tbsp
oil of choice - half coconut oil half olive

Mix these all up and put in a cute glass jar. This scrub makes your skin feel so nice and the lemon zest mix in there smells amazing. The honey locks in moisture leaving your skin silky smooth hours after your shower. No need to use lotion after. Careful because since I put too much oil the bottom on my tub was oily so careful when showering.

After some more reading about scrub ingredients, I came up with this fun scrub:

Orange Spiced Black Tea Scrub
5 bags of black tea
1/2 C white sugar
1 tsp honey
6 Tbsp coconut oil
zest of one orange
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
pinch of ground clove

Empty the 5 tea bags into a mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients. Then the wet and mix.

THE PERKS:
black tea - natural compounds found in black tea are excellent for your skin. Tea is a natural astringent, meaning it will dry up and tighten skin. This is really important when dealing with spots, acne, pimples etc
orange - orange peels contain significant amount of calcium which provides protection against pre-mature ageing of the skin. Removes blackheads, rejuvenates dull skin and gives you radiant skin.
cinnamon - riding acne and redness and really helps soften, tone, and fight the signs of aging such as age spots and wrinkles
honey - honey is beneficial to all skin types because it helps the skin add and retain elasticity and moisture without drying out the skin
coconut oil - it’s incredibly moisturizing and filled with vitamins and minerals, which it locks securely into your skin

This is a coffee scrub recipe. It is great for cellulite as it tightens and tones your skin. It's the main ingredient in a lot of high end products. Had a cool spa sesh other night and my skin felt rejuvenated and soft. Not to mention my bathroom smelled like a coffee shop. Mmmmmmm! And, I used it on my face as well the next morning. BTW all these scrubs are good for your face but either grind the sugar/coffee/salt finer or don't scrub too hard on your face. Use these scrubs once a week on your face and for you body no more then twice a week. You need to let your skin chill before you exfoliate again.

Mocha Scrub
1/2 ground coffee
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 C coconut oil
1 tsp cocoa powder

Mix these up in a bowl. Enjoy!

FACE
Apple cider vinegar is a cool item to have on hand. It has SO many uses, one being a great face toner. I found this recipe online from CoconutandKettlebells :


ACV and GREEN TEA TONER


For sensitive skin: Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar with 4 parts water
For normal skin: Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar with 2 parts water
For oily skin: Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar with 1 part water
Use green tea in place of water. Brew large cup with 2 tea bags. Let cool. ix with Vit E (¼ tsp or more ) to preserve. 1-2 times a day, after washing skin with a gentle cleanser, swipe your entire face with this toner using a cotton ball or pad. Do not rinse. Apply moisturizer afterwards, if needed. After a few days of using this toner after cleansing I noticed that my skin tone looked more even, my cystic acne calmed down and my skin cleared up. I’m definitely making this a permanent part of my cleansing regime.
And let me tell you this TOTALLY works. I had a few pimples on my face and this toner got rid of them so fast. I used it in the AM and at night. You def see results fast. Where have you been all my life!!!

The next item was I tried my hand at infused oils but I am not sure if it worked because my finished product did not smell of rose (well very faintly) or ginger. We always have sore muscles because we are always working out hard so I read that ginger (another wonderful ingredient to have on hand with many benefits) is great for sore muscles. So I read how to infuse oil. I need more practice doing this.

Olive oil is a great eye makeup remover!

Well, that's it for now.





No comments:

Post a Comment