Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Clean Chicken Broth

Chicken broth is pretty much clean, for the most part. Skim the fat once it cools and do not add a lot of salt. Canned low sodium or no salt chicken stock is fine (remember to check ingredients) but homemade is always better. I was making chicken tacos last night and I needed some chicken broth and I did not have any canned broth so I decided to make my own because I had all the ingredients here to make it and it is fun. We always get our meats and fish in bulk. We cut them cut into portions and freeze. We also freeze the chicken scraps from trimming and cutting the chicken because it is great for making stock. So I pulled out from my freezer some chicken scraps, grabbed one large carrot, medium onion, kale stalk (I did not have any celery so any green would do plus it changes the flavor and makes it interesting), couple bay leaves, course black pepper and sea salt. In a large pot I poured 5 cups of water and put it on the stove on high temp. I chopped the veggies roughly and put them side until the water was boiling rapidly. Then I dropped in the veggies, chicken scraps, bay leaves, lots of black pepper (because I like it) and a little bit of sea salt.




 

I just wanted a plain broth but if you wanted to make soup or wanted a more herb-y broth this is were to would add parsley, thyme, etc. This continued to boil until it reduced and the veggies are soft to the touch. I shut off the burner and poured the broth into a strainer. You can freezer this stock to use at a later time. Oh and if you want a veggie broth just add more veggies and leave out the chicken, obviously. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment