Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Experimenting in the lab

At the end of the week, I usually have to get creative with meals. My supplies of produce start to dwindle. So, I look at my pantry of things to experiment with. Today's ingredient: canned tuna fish. I used Chicken of the Sea solid Albacore in water. The ingredients listed are: solid white tuna, water, vegetable broth, salt and pyrophosphate --- I know a nasty chemical, right? But it's the last one listed meaning there's only a little of it this can of tuna. If more was listed it would not even be in my pantry. Hmmm, what can I make with this tuna. Not salad because I have no lettuce. What could I do with this tuna that would be so delicious. YES! Tuna cakes! It's like crab cakes but with tuna. My husband makes incredible crab cakes so, I used his recipe and just cleaned it up. Bread crumbs: I used oat bran in place of bread crumbs you can use a clean piece of bread, put it in the oven to toast and then pulse in a food processor or coffee grinder to make into crumbs. I used Old Bay, fresh parsley and dill, chopped red onion because this is tuna fish, one egg, mashed it all up in a bowl and formed little patties. I used my cast iron pan with a light coating of oil olive, dropped the patties into the pan to cook.

I also made some clean tartar sauce --- yum it was really tasty. Put it on the plate with a side of wild brown rice and this was lunch.

It might be dinner too I really liked these.

1 comment: