Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

i heart pizza

Me and pizza have had a long love affair. Growing up in the Bronx, we had pizza joints on almost every block. Mmmm the gooey cheese, tasty sauce, crispy but soft crust and bottom and lots of veggie toppings. Yes, I never liked any meat on my pizza. My favorite topping is mushrooms, yea, not so exciting, right? So anyways, I hadn't had a pizza in what felt like a lifetime ago, I'm being dramatic but it was a long time and I wanted some pizza. So how can I make it clean? Take out the white flour and white sugar, right? So, I started doing some research and found some cool recipes. Some called for oat flour or oat bran. Some called for whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour. I tried these all and I like the whole wheat pastry flour because it was little more airy than the regular ww flour and that's important if you don't want your end product too dense. I also noticed these flours are harder to work with then white flour. Great, because I kinda don't like working with dough only because I always have some problem and I end up getting frustrated and need a drink.

3 cups of ww pastry flour, 1 T honey, 1 1/4 cups of warm water, a packet of dry yeast, 1/2 t of olive oil, and 2 t of garlic salt. In a bowl, mix the water, honey and yeast. Let that sit for like 20 mins. In another bowl mix flour, salt and add it to the water mix. It should be sticky. Next, take the dough and knead it for 5 mins. Once kneaded, take an oiled bowl and shape the dough into a ball and put it in the bowl and cover with a damp towel for an hour. After an hour has past, take the dough out of the bowl, knead it and form into a pizza. If you have a pizza stone, place in the stone in the oven at 400 for 5 mins. Oh don't forget to brush oil on the crust so it doesn't burn.

Pizza sauce: in a blender I put a can of whole peeled plum tomatoes (don't use all the juice in the can save it until you need to add some, also very important read ingredients no salt and no sugar), lots of fresh basil, onion and garlic (to your liking) and a little salt.

Toppings: I went to Aldi's because they have fresh cheese and cheap prices and it's just the right amount for pizza night. I got a ball of fresh moz for 2.69 and goat cheese for 1.99. You can't beat that!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment