Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

No-bake cookies and childhood memories

I have always enjoyed being in the kitchen since as long as I remember. My grandmother would come over to take care of me while my parents were at work and I would hang out with her in the kitchen. Sitting on the floor watching her cook soup, one of her specialties. When I was a little older I would stand on a step tool and watch standing on my tippy toes because I could barely see over the counter. I learned a lot about cooking at a very young age watching pros like my grandmother and my grandfather (who was a chef for many years in Manhattan). They both enjoyed cooking and I picked that up from them, the love of cooking because it is definitely something you need to love in order to do it well. 
 
As I got a little older, I was allowed to bake things; cookies, cakes, my mother had a cook book that I loved looking at especially the cake and candy section. But before I started being allowed to use the oven, we made no-bake cookies. There was this recipe we had circling around I'm not sure who found it, my mom, cousin or aunt or a mother from school but it was for no-bake cookies. I believe the recipe had, oats, peanut butter, honey and dry milk. When my cousins would come over, I didn't have sisters only brothers so when we had sleepovers it was fun, we would make these cookies. The cookies were so good and I made these until I was so tired of them.... until now. The new and improved no-bake cookies. These really need an original name. Hmmmm 
 

 This is a different version. Instead of oats I used almond flour, and I added ground flax and cocoa powder. Then mix.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

It is important to mix al the dry ingredients first and then the wet and then mix together so the all the ingredients are well incorporated. Some recipes just tell you to throw all the ingredients in at once. No. Mix them separately then combine them.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Here is the honey and natural peanut butter (only ingredients should be peanuts and nothing less FYI hydrogenated oils are VERY bad and some brands have this so stay away. Read here about hydrogenated oils. Oh look I didn't pre-mix the honey and pb before adding to the wet ingredients.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

This is what it looks like after it's all mixed. Now, just roll into balls and place on a wax paper lined pan and place in the frig or freezer if can't wait.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
You can make truffles out of them by rolling them in toasted coconut, fresh ground coffee beans, cocoa powder anything that is clean. These were absolutely delicious and I cannot wait to make more!

No comments:

Post a Comment